The Beginning of the Commemorative Air Force
In 1957 a small group of ex-service pilots got together to purchase a P-51 Mustang in the Rio Grande Valley in Southern Texas. Shortly after Lloyd Nolen founded the Confederate Air Force which is now known internationally as the Commemorative Air Force.
Originally calling themselves "Mustang and Company", little did they realize that they were forming the base for what is now the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) consisting of over 9,000 members and a fleet of 160 aircraft.
It was 1982 when 25 St. Louis/ St. Charles, Missouri dedicated WWII enthusiasts formed a squadron of the CAF and, within a year, was granted official status becoming the 25th CAF Wing.
Current CAFMO Location & Aircraft
Located at St. Charles County Airport/Smartt Field, the Wing currently maintains three aircraft as well as a museum dedicated to the memory and bravery of all those who served.
The Wing membership consists of over 100 volunteers that cover administration, maintenance, pilots, docents and many other responsibilities.
Learn more about becoming a member.